Tuesday, August 23, 2005

World Class Singaporean

Singapore has done it again! We have produced another world champion in an international sporting event. 67 year old Soh Kan Chiong won the One-meter dash in the world record time of 0.69 seconds, leaving the rest of the much younger competition totally stunned.

Speaking to the Straight Times, the 1.5m tall said he was responding to the challenge set by the prime minister to produce world class citizens in every profession. When asked how long and where he had been training, the humble champion from Tampines said he had to thank Singapore’s excellent transportation system.

He explains, “Everyday for the last 10 years, I wake up at 6am to have my kopi and yu tiao and then warm-up at the bus-stop. As soon as I see the bus come, I get into a strategic position and then prepare to dash up the bus, most of the time beating the pesky primary school children. They think I old, scared to push them away. Then I go to the MRT station. This is where it really gets competitive. If I don’t get a seat, then jialat sia, must stand all the way to Boon Lay where I work as pishball noodle seller at NTU. So I use my small size as advantage to squeeze through all the office workers. Pregnant woman also try to compete with me but they are selfish, only doing it for themselves. I doing it for Singapore so i tell myself, cannot lose to them”

Mat Love
Straight Times

No comments: