Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ramadan

Yo Mat Riders,

The thing i miss most about home is Eid il Fitri, more commonly known as Hari Raya Puasa in Singapore. It is NOT the muslim New Year. The muslim new year is 1st Muharram. Eid il Fitri is 1st Shawal. Check it out. (Due to different transliterations of the Arabic alphabet, other spellings of the months are possible.)

1. Muharram
2. Safar
3. Rabi' al-awwal (Rabi' I)
4. Rabi' al-thani (Rabi' II)
5. Jumada al-awwal (Jumada I)
6. Jumada al-thani (Jumada II)
7. Rajab
8. Sha'ban
9. Ramadan
10. Shawwal
11. Dhu al-Qi'dah
12. Dhu al-Hijjah

This will be my 3rd year away. I miss the gathering and of course my mum's cooking man. I don't care if you say this restaurant power or not; still can't beat my mum. Lontong, Rendang, Mee Siam, Bagedel, Laksa. Then got Kueh Lapis, Pineapple Tarts, Kueh Makmur, Agar-Agar. Yum!

Fasting in Boston is good and bad. In the winter, it is damn cold so when i play my trumpet, no power man. But i also break fast earlier, like now, it's 5.45pm. Next week, it'll be 5.15pm etc.. Hmm...i wonder how for summer man. The sun go home at 9pm only. ALAMAK!!!!!! I check later.

People ask me why i fast. Then they shock, when i say cannot drink water also. Anyway, to read more, here's a link.

Later,
Mat Love

2 comments:

Pip said...

Man...I can imagine how u must feel now that Hari Raya is approaching... I'm sure ur family will miss your presence alot too. BUT! This is only temporary! Cheer up!

siti said...

Happy Fasting Mr Najib! :)